Drought, Managing Cattle Shrinkage & Custom Rates
Saturday, April 30, 2022
This week on SUNUP:
- Dave Lalman, OSU Extension beef cattle specialist, has management advice for producers making tough decisions because of drought conditions. He offers culling guidance and encourages viewers to work with local OSU Extension agricultural educators across the state when making decisions.
- Wes Lee, OSU Extension Mesonet agricultural coordinator, discuss the latest rainfall maps. State climatologist Gary McManus predicts warm and dry weather could be on the horizon.
- Kim Anderson, OSU Extension grain marketing specialist, gives an update on how wheat, corn and soybean prices are faring.
- Derrell Peel, OSU Extension livestock marketing specialist, discusses the latest USDA Cattle on Feed report and says the markets are already seeing the effects of drought-related liquidation and movement.
- Mark Johnson, OSU Extension beef cattle breeding specialist, talks with Dr. Rosslyn Biggs, OSU Extension beef cattle specialist, about emergency preparedness plans for livestock herds.
- Paul Beck, OSU Extension beef specialist, discusses calf shrinkage and gives advice on how producers can manage the issue.
- Finally, Roger Sahs, OSU Extension agricultural economics specialist, had information about the updated Oklahoma Farm and Ranch Custom Rates current report.