As news and unprecedented challenges continue to spread through communities due to COVID-19, stay alert and up-to-date with information and resources. Follow updates on the coronavirus/COVID-19 situation from Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Oklahoma State Department of Health and Oklahoma State University. Listed below are articles and recommendations related to coronavirus.
- March 28, 2020 | OSU Extension services and programs continue through pandemic
More than 100 years of science-based, community service by Oklahoma State University Extension will continue unabated through the challenges presented by the novel coronavirus pandemic, Associate Vice President for OSU Extension Damona Doye said.
“It is very important that we all remain safe, productive and healthy during this pandemic,” Doye said. “We face an evolving situation, which is forcing all of us to adapt and innovate. Extension resources will be available to help.”
OSU Extension is a state agency administered by the university’s Division of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources and is a key component of OSU’s mandate to promote wellness, leadership and economic development for all Oklahomans.
Many Extension offices, which can be found in all 77 of the state’s counties, have been directed by state and local authorities to close their doors and cancel face-to-face meetings to protect the health of Extension personnel and the public. However, true to their spirit of commitment, those workers are making themselves available electronically via social media, teleconferences, phone calls and texting.
Doye said a growing number of Extension efforts have moved online – for example, new virtual alternatives for 4-H programs. Federally required Dicamba herbicide-handling training sessions are being held via teleconferences, and Extension experts are finding ways to deliver other consultations. Mission-critical services to support agriculture such as soil and forage testing continue using new drop-off alternatives.
The Extension website at https://extension.okstate.edu provides a wealth of educational content designed especially for Oklahomans, such as guidance on crops and livestock, gardening and insects, health and nutrition, and 4-H and family. The site also has more than 1,000 fact sheets tailored to state residents.
Oklahoma Gardening and SUNUP television shows have adapted production as well. Thousands of videos are available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/OklahomaGardening and https://www.youtube.com/SUNUPTV.
“Given the suddenness of our need to ramp up online education, many of our Extension educators are thinking creatively about how to respond,” Doye said. “I am proud of their dedication to their communities.”
- March 19, 2020 | COVID-19 case reported for OSU Extension County Office
OSU Extension Community,
Today we were informed that one of our colleagues tested positive for COVID-19. Please join me in keeping them in our thoughts on their journey toward a full recovery.
As a result of the positive case associated with OSU Extension and following the recommendations of local health department officials, we have notified all employees of the Cleveland County OSU Extension office. The office will be temporarily closed beginning today until further notice. During the temporary closure, OSU Extension will follow CDC guidelines to deep clean and disinfect the affected areas.
Your adaptability during this time of rapid change is appreciated, as well as your concern for our OSU Extension family.
Associate Vice President
- Best Practices and Communication for Food Banks
- Cleaning and Disinfection for Food Service
- Cleaning and Disinfection for Grocery Stores
- General Questions and Employee Health in Food Service
- General Questions and Employee Health in Grocery Stores
- Giving overlooked canned foods new life
- Is Coronavirus a Concern at Grocery Stores?
- Is Coronavirus a Concern on Fresh Produce?
- Is Coronavirus a Concern with Take out?
- Is Coronavirus a Food Safety Issue?
- Is Coronavirus an Issue in Produce Production?
- Q&A: Impacts of COVID-19 on the Food Industry
- Receiving and Food Packaging for Food Service
- Receiving and Food Packaging for Grocery Stores
- Receiving Food and Cleaning for Food Banks
- U-Pick Farms and Steps for Farm Managers
- Census participation urged during coronavirus response
- Clean Your Hands Often
- Lávese Las Manos Frecuentemente
- Cleaning and Disinfection
- Limpiando y Desinfectando
- Do It Yourself Bleach Sanitizer Solution
- Family members with coronavirus should be isolated at home
- How Extension Can Contribute to COVID-19 Efforts
- Immune system tips offered
- Mental Health and Coping during COVID-19
- OSU ag collects, donates PPE supplies for health care providers
- OHCE groups put sewing skills to good use for local hospital
- Preparing for an Outbreak in your Community
- Como prepararse contra un brote en su comunidad
- Simple recommendations for making a disinfecting solution
- Steps for Garden Managers and Gardeners
- The Proper Way to Use Hand Sanitizer
- What to do if you are sick
- ¿Qué hacer si está enfermo?
- Horse owners urged to plan care during pandemic
- Keep horses healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic by having a plan
- Verify first before taking sheep or goats to sale sites
- Webinars set for cattle industry over viral concerns
- Children need support facing tornadoes and virus
- Co-parenting during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Helping children cope with stress during the COVID-19 outbreak
- How Parents Can Help School-Aged (4-12) Children Through the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Parenting Teens during the Coronavirus Pandemic
- COVID-19 shows importance of emergency financial plans
- Getting Through a Financial Emergency
- Pandemic brings out scammers in full force
- What to Do About Your Retirement Account During a Financial Emergency