Skip to main content

As the springtime temperatures emerge, Oklahomans will steadily become more active both inside and outside their homes. As they begin working around tBottles of insect control on a shelfhe house or meeting friends and family for outdoor activities, it will be important to always keep safety in mind.


“Of course, poison hazards lurk year-round, but some of these dangers are unique to the warmer days of summer,” said Gina Peek, Oklahoma State University Cooperative Extension housing and consumer specialist. “This is especially true for outdoor activities.”


Homeowners focused on shaping up their lawns and tending their gardens may rely on common lawn care products such as lime, fertilizer, herbicides and insecticides.


Some of these products can burn the skin or irritate the eyes, nose or mouth. In particular, some herbicides and pesticides also can be harmful if swallowed or inhaled.


“If you’re planning to use these products, take the time to read the label, follow the directions and store them properly when you’re finished using them,” Peek said. “Pay attention to the weather conditions, too. On windy days, it may be best to avoid applying certain products in order to reduce the chances of skin, eye, throat or lung irritation.”


During summer barbecues, charcoal lighter fluid should be stored up high and away and out of sight in order to be kept safely out of the reach of children, because if swallowed, it could easily get into their lungs. The same care should be taken with other types of lighter fluids and hydrocarbons such as gasoline and kerosene.


Finally, post the number for poison control near each phone in the house and store the number in your cell phone. In case of a poison-related emergency, call 800-222-1222 to speak with a poison specialist. The line is available 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Back To Top